Saturday, January 3, 2009

A New Creature

When I was going to school for elementary education we watched a movie in one of my classes. The story took place in a tribe where men would "purchase" their brides with cows. It was common place to refer to a woman as a "2 cow wife" or a "1 cow wife". The chief of this tribe had a daughter, let's call her Leah (I don't remember her name, it's been almost 20 years!).

The chief feared that no one would ever offer him any cows for this daughter. She was a bit homely, and so shy that when any man came to visit she hid in the treetops. Leah had absolutely nothing to offer a husband. One day Johnny came to the chief and offered him 7 cows for Leah. The chief could hardly believe it. NO ONE had ever given 7 cows for a wife. The villagers could hardly believe it either.

After the wedding ceremony, Johnny took his new bride away in his canoe. They were gone for several months. When Johnny returned he had a different woman with him. Johnny's new woman was beautiful. She obviously took care of her appearance and she had a beautiful smile. She was confident, and happy. While on their honeymoon trip, Johnny had encouraged Leah. He bought her beautiful tortoise shell combs for her "glorious hair". He bought her a mirror that she might see for herself the "beautiful woman who is my wife". He told her that he was the luckiest man in the whole tribe because he was the only man to ever have a 7 cow wife.

Obviously, Johnny's care and confidence building transformed Leah. I hate to confess that at times I've thought if only my husband could love me like that, then I could change. If he loved me that much then I could be the wife he deserves.

On New Year's Eve I was reading The Search for Significance by R. McGee. Actually, I was reading the study guide in the back, where the author had asked that you restate several verses in your own words. One of the verses was, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." Romans 8:1&2

Suddenly it hit me!

Jesus is Johnny. I can't expect my husband to be Jesus. Only Jesus can be Jesus! He saw me (and you) and though I was sinful and unworthy and had nothing to offer Him, He paid a great price for me. He offered His very life for me. His blood was shed and He suffered for me. His Word shows me that "Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in me. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full." John 15:9-11 (NASB)

Johnny took Leah away to love her and transform her. Jesus wants me to abide in Him and I will be have His joy.

God's word is the mirror that shows me I am loved and I am changed. 2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore if any person is [ingrafted] in Christ (the Messiah) he is a new creation (a new creature altogether); the old [previous moral and spiritual condition] has passed away. Behold, the fresh and new has come!" (AMP)

I am already changed. I have been changed. That which I longed for has already happened.

Dear Lord,
Thank you for the work you've done in my life. Thank you for opening my eyes. I pray that I will yield fully to your will and shaping of my life. My purpose is in You. I will abide in You.
Amen.

No comments: